Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sins of omission… are they really that bad?

A resounding yes, yes, and yes because it is SIN!

For the last couple of weeks I have had this nudging of the Spirit to go to the local nursing home and just visit with some of the ladies. This came to me out of nowhere, which always raises my eyebrow as to what God could possible be up to now... I decided to wait and go during the week I would be off from work travel (this week) because I would have more time. I decided on Sunday night that I would go on Monday. Monday came and I remained busy at the house all day. Guess what? I didn’t go to the nursing home.

I went to the grocery store Monday evening and in the checkout line a few people ahead of me stood an old friend who works in the office at the nursing home…yes that is right…God was yet again reminding me to get to the nursing home! I actually stopped my friend and told her that God was really leading me to make a visit to the nursing home and asked if she would get me a list of ladies that would enjoy a visit and some conversation.

Did I mention my Sunday school lesson for the last couple of weeks has been about sins of omission taken from the book “Return to Holiness” by Dr. Gregory R. Frizzell?

Luke 12:47-48
“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”

Tuesday rolls around and without further delay I made my stop in the nursing home office to get a list of ladies that I could visit with. I had two in particular on my list and wouldn’t you know they were gone to the beauty shop.

As I was making my way back down the hallway, I happened to notice the sweetest little lady in her wheelchair heading into her bathroom. She appeared to need a bit of help and there wasn’t anyone around. The nurse in me just kicked into action and I assisted this lady to the bathroom. She was okay with it and so was I… kaboom a very intimate friendship born! This lady was so witty and such a joy to be around. In fact, when I was helping her straighten her clothes after being in the bathroom, she laughed about all the fat she had to cover. I said, “well that is funny…I have that same problem.” She then added, “There is one thing for sure…I know I’m not pregnant!” Of course I replied, “Me either!” We both had a nice laugh out of that one!


We continued to visit with each other and throughout our conversation I learned many neat things about my newfound friend. She shared with me that she was still a member of our home church where Greg got saved and the very place he announced his call to ministry. She told me that she had been a member for 80 years and still to this day continues to send her tithe money to the church. This lady was amazing because she was not sad to be living in the nursing home. She was very happy and grateful. She bragged on the meals, staff, and even her roommate. Not one bitter word proceeded from her lips. In all situations, this sweet lady knows contentment through Jesus.

I shared how God had placed it upon my heart to make a visit to the nursing home and I really wasn’t certain as to why. I told her about running into my friend at the grocery and then finally committing to make my visit. Big tears welled up in her eyes and she said, “I guess God knew I was ready to receive from Him and He sent you.” She kept telling me she would pray for my husband and me, but she also kept telling me how the Lord was proud of the work we were doing and she was too. It was so encouraging to have a lady that is in no way attached to the work we do for the Lord to speak such affirming words to me. God wants to bless us in some of the most unique ways if we will just let Him.

I share this story not at all to boast in anything we are doing for the Lord. The Lord does not “need” anything I have to offer, but I have learned He loves each of us so much that He desires us to be a part of His business. He desires you too friends…yes you! My complacency and lackadaisical approach to God’s call for me to visit the nursing home could have cost me a tremendous blessing, but He continued to pursue me until I surrendered to the message and call. Thank you Jesus for your love and patience in all things regardless of how big or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment